We received a few questions about Oil Pulling and decided to put it to the test for you guys! Oil pulling is a holistic healing remedy that has been around for many years. It is an age old remedy that cleans and detoxifies your teeth and gums. The best way to describe oil pulling is a mouthwash without the fresh minty taste. Your mouth carries a lot of bacteria, and the coconut oil gently lifts this bacteria from your mouth.
Oil pulling has been proven in scientific studies to:
- reduce bacteria
- reduce plaque
- improve gums
- whiten teeth
- heal headaches
- heal bronchitis
- reduce tooth pain.
Heres what you’ll need to get started:
- Sesame Oil, Olive Oil, or Organic Raw Coconut Oil
- Tooth brush
- Tooth Paste (preferably all natural)
- Warm water to rinse
- Swish 2 teaspoons of oil for 20 minutes. We chose to use coconut oil because who doesn’t LOVE coconut oil? Gently push and pull the oil between your teeth. It may take a few tries to work up to 20 minutes, so start at 10 minutes and work your way up! We’ll be completely honest. The first minute or two it feels pretty weird to swish oil around in your mouth, but after that its smooth sailing.
- As you do this the oil will mix with your saliva and turn into a thin white liquid. It will begin to absorb and lift the toxins around your mouth, gums, teeth, and tongue.
- When the time is up, spit out into a trash can or cup, NOT your sink.
- Rinse with warm water. Be cautious of swallowing prior to rinsing to ensure you don’t swallow any of the bacteria that was lifted.
- Brush well after. This step is very important so the bacteria doesn’t settle in your mouth again.
The best time of day for oil pulling is right when you wakeup-prior to eating or drinking anything. Some people are so in love with oil pulling that they have stopped brushing their teeth all together. But we don’t plan on doing that anytime soon ;). Stay tuned for a review on how it’s going for us. Here at FoodFitFab, we love answering your questions! If you have any questions or experiences you want to share about oil pulling, let us know in the comments below! Have a topic you’d like us to address? Don’t hesitate to ask!